Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) creates a relationship with the Farmer who grows your food, the land and your local community.
By signing up for our CSA in the spring, you will receive weekly boxes of organic vegetables, fruit, herbs and flowers throughout the growing season (June through October). Boxes are delivered to local pick up sites on Tuesday afternoons. Each week, the CSA box will be accompanied by an e-mail newsletter full of stories, photos and information from the farm along with recipes, links, storage tips, and vegetable descriptions to help you use your bounty. Members are also invited to events throughout the season and given access to a private Facebook group for sharing recipes, ideas and questions with one another.
If you are new to CSA (or even just new to our farm), there’s a lot to learn so keep on scrolling to learn what's included in a CSA membership with Winterfell Acres, share sizes, prices, delivery locations, payment methods and whether or not CSA is a good option for you.
What is included in a CSA membership?
- Fresh, certified organic, seasonal produce in three different weekly share sizes: Nibble, Picnic and Feast. Plus add-on shares like fall storage boxes and biweekly flower shares.
- You should expect a steady supply of staple produce such as beans, carrots, lettuce, tomatoes, etc. as well as a few yummy but less-well-known vegetables such as kohlrabi, blonde cucumbers and yellow watermelon.
- Weekly newsletter including many recipes and tips to make the most out of each week's delivery as well as a farm update for that week. Expect a weekly read of the unique and wonderful rantings and ravings about farm life from Farmer Beth!
- Opportunities to order extra produce throughout the season for storage, freezing and special events
- Invitation to farm events and private CSA member-only farm events
- Access to CSA member-only Facebook group and CSA web app
- Relationship with your farmer and the Land that grows your food!
Is CSA right for you?
Read Farmer Beth's blog post: Six Questions: Is CSA Right For You?
"January 2015 my Dr. gave me a wake-up call on my cholesterol numbers. That reality and the CSA Open House at Monona Terrace was the incentive I needed to give a Winterfell Nibble share a try—turned out to be perfect for me.
I challenged myself to use everything. Trimmings got saved in a bag in the freezer; once a month I made vegetable stock with them for soup base or to make rice with. Nothing was wasted. I enjoyed the rainbow of tomatoes, especially the green heirlooms.
After 6 months of diet and exercise and 20# lighter, my Dr. ordered new labs. She and I were pleased to see my numbers were much better and well within acceptable range.
So my thanks to Winterfell Acres for the wonderful produce, great eating, and improved health I enjoyed this past season because of your efforts. It turned out to be a great first time CSA experience for me."